Friday, January 1, 2010

Jan 1, 2010

Alright..I need this little blog spot. Just a place to track myself. My goals, my setbacks, my accomplishments..me. Not just because it's a new year, but because it's time that I do this. It's time there's a place that I can go to without the worries of what other people will think. Sometimes it's just nice to be in your own little world, and this, is mine.

I have been thinking about resolutions. I don't really like that word because why should we wait until a certain date to set a goal? Why can't we just set a goal when it needs to be set? When it comes to mind that it's time for change? But it's so weird how I'm starting this blog on this day..the first day of January. Go figure! :D

The first goal: Running. I started running not too long ago, and have become hooked! If you know me, you know that running + me have NEVER been in the same sentence, let alone the same paragraph. Oh heck..the same shelf in the library! It was just never something I have ever wanted to do. Ever. But over the past year, a lot of changes have come into my life. Changes I'm proud of. I have MS. And if you were to look in most any book that talks about MS, you will somewhere read that within 10 or so year of being diagnosed, you'll be confined to a wheelchair. Well, not this lady! No way!! I have too much going for me to just..stop. Since the diagnosis, I've lost almost 75 pounds of myself. Things I was holding on to for who knows why. But it was time to get rid of it and let the real me shine through. And then, it got to be a bit more then just losing weight. I realized that working out and becoming a healthier person was the absolute best thing I could do for myself. Working out in the morning has helped my body to move. Daily. I need to move daily. Working out has helped me to relax, to calm down, to think clearly. All things I need to do. As a mother of 3 and a wife..I need a little relax, calm down, think clearly time. :D Then, add the whole MS on top of that..you can see where this is going. SO..I started running.

And now, I love it. I love to lace up my shoes, not really knowing where my feet will take me, but knowing that when I get there, I need to turn back and come home. That little journey is what I love. It's 'my' time. Time to think. Time to replay moments in my mind. Time to sort out problems. Time to smile because of accomplishments. Time to remember who I really am. Have you ever heard that Nike quote? It's one of my favorites. It says,

"You don't stand in front of a mirror before a run and wonder what the road will think of your outfit. you don't have to listen to its jokes and pretend they're funny in order to run on it. It will not be easier to run if you dress sexier. The road doesn't notice when you're not wearing make up. It does not care how old you are. And you don't feel uncomfortable if you make more money than it. The only thing the road cares about is that you pay it a visit once in a while." - NIKE Goddess

That is why I run. That is why it is something I absolutely love. Doctors can tell me to take certain medicines in hope to one day cure this crazy disease I have. My family can beg for their favorite dinner or bedtime story. My friends can ask for my time. And gladly I will say yes to all of it. But there are times when I just need to be me. Where I just need to step back and rediscover what it is that I like best about me. And right now, it's the ability to move..

Join me on this running journey. One step in front of the other, one mile at a time. That goal is in site..let's grab it and go! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment