Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A week of change...

So..this is new. Well, not really, but new to some of my readers. Mostly because I don't usually go around talking about 'this'. Although, I will bring it up when I feel it needs to be put out there. This week, is MS Awareness week. A week dedicated to MS and what it is, how it can effect people, how we can live with it. A friend of mine asked me once, "What is the one thing you fear when you wake up every day?" My answer, easily, was "That I won't be able to move and be the mom I need to be." And I wondered..does anyone else think about that? Or rather, does anyone else HAVE to think about that everyday? EVERYDAY? Not weekly, monthly..but daily, sometimes hourly. I know that there are others out there who have their struggles where they do have to think about things like this. And it's scary. So completely scary. But on the flip side, you can do something. You can always do something. In my case..I workout. I know, how confusing is that? Fear of not being able to move, so I move more. Weird! But true. I workout to keep myself mobile.
Look at this:


I wonder what would happen if I couldn't do what it is I take for granted daily. Walking. Sitting. Breathing.
So how can I not get up and go out there and just push myself? How can I not want to make the most of every opportunity? How can I not see what I have, and run with it..in every sense of the word?
There is no finish line for me because this journey will never end. Having MS isn't a thing I would have chosen but in a thousand ways, it's made me a better person. Since learning that I have MS, I have:
*lost 70 pounds
*began running
*re-dedicated myself to being a better mom for my kids and wife for my husband
*spent quiet moments and focused on me.
*became an example of health to my family by my eating choices and lifestyle
*been able to look in the mirror and see the me I want to become, and how close I am
to achieving that
The list goes on and on, but above all..I'm happy.

This week, to participate in MS Awareness Week, I'll be participating in a 5k. Not for any other reason then the fact that I can while living with a disease that will one day take all movement away from me. Today, I can run.

Will you join me?

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing. Truly. I get choked up thinking about all you have accomplished. You inspire me to be better. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy. :) You push me, weather you realize it or not. :D

    ReplyDelete